It was the first time when we were united for this cause and demanded work under MGNREGA.
The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), also known as Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MNREGS) is Indian legislation enacted on August 25, 2005. MGNREGA is an initiative and social security measures by Govt. to provide employment opportunity to rural people for reducing distress migration. This act was introduced with an aim of improving the purchasing power of the rural people, primarily semi or un-skilled work to people living below poverty line in rural India. It attempts to bridge the gap between the rich and poor in the country. Also one-third of the stipulated work force must be women.
About the Village
Shivpura village comes under the periphery of RDC location of Rajsamand district. It is situated about 10 km away from Railmagra block. The block is characterized by the entire tyrannical infrastructure bottlenecks which are the standard phenomenon of an Indian village. The village predominantly had Dalit community and inadequate means of earning for their livelihood
The Problems & Earlier Situation
- One of the fundamental rights is “right to work, but when Manjari Foundation under Sakhi project entered into the Shivpura village of Railmagra block of Rajsamand district, it was surprised for the team that since last 10 year no one in the village got a single day work under MGNREGA, hence most of the households come under ST & SC category and engaged in agriculture and daily wage labor in nearby areas.
- The major disappointment for the village was that from last ten-fifteen years no PRI leader or local authorities had entered the village
- Women’s participation in MGNREGA – has been a challenge, attributed to pre-defined gender roles and discrimination, lack of awareness, socio-cultural setup and mobility of women.
Raising Awareness on MGNREGA
Sakhi team has decided to facilitate women in this regard hence initiated the discussion in SHG meetings. This initiative has been well received by the SHG members. Even women started discussing their issues and problems; we wanted work but never knew who to approach and how to get work.
The Remarkable Journey or Demanding participation in MGNREGA
- It was the first time for the women that they are united for this cause and demanded work under MGNREGA.
- After discussion it was finalized that few women leader along with Samuh Sakhi will meet the Sarpanch of the GP and convey him about the concern.
- The matter was appraised to the Sarpanch by the group of women leader and the Sarpanch of Khad Bamniya GP visited the village.
- He was agreed with the women and assured to start work under MGNREGA
- It was because of the unity of SHG women 5 new job cards were prepared and 21 women applied/demanded work under MGNREGA.
- Through the collective efforts of SHG women, now MGNREGA work has been started in Shivpura and other nearby villages from 1st March 2017 where till now 210 SHG women are working.
- Due to advocacy and awareness raising by Sakhi team more Women are now active about their rights.